August 29, 2007

Welcome to Life

The title and URL of this blog come from a John Dewey quote I am fond of:

"Education is a social process. Education is growth. Education is, not a preparation for life; education is life itself."

This is taking on special meaning for me as I am entering into my first student-teaching experience. I am soon to be involved in both my own growth and process of becoming a teacher (more directly than I ever have been) and the growth and process of the students that enter into my classroom, school, and sphere of indirect influence. This means that I will be juggling the role of educating myself, the role of educating others, and the role of inspiring others to educate themselves. These will be roles I will, hopefully, be consciously taking on for a long time to come.

And this? This is to be a log of that process. The process of education, the process of life.

No comments: